Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Ms. Shirley Stare by Mindy


Underneath the table upon which are scattered various elementary projects —maps, bead frames, timelines—Rayven is kicking Bryce.  In a shocking display of maturity, he ignores it, keeps working.  I stand a few feet away, coffee in hand.  It’s what I’m trained to do.  Blend in to the environment.  Allow the children a chance to work things out for themselves.  On the wall is the worst picture of Dr. Montessori ever taken.  A 16x20 sepia print shows her frowning, chin in hand, eyes cast down.  It’s terrifying.  When I look it, I feel like I did as a child during mass when I’d look up at the crucifix and feel small and shamed.  I imagine the words “you suck” floating through the air in a direct path from the picture to my ears.  

I stare at Rayven’s narrow eyes.  She stares back.  What’s supposed to happen next is that she look away and get back to work.  I call it the Ms. Shirley Stare, the single most valuable disciplinary tool offered when she trained me years ago.  No shouting, no distraction, no embarrassment—just a look, for as long as it takes.  “The drift will be caught, my girl,” she said to me.  

Three minutes have passed.  Still staring, I raise my eyebrows.  Rayven raises hers.  I tilt my head to the right.  So does she.  I walk toward her.  She stands up.  When I lean my head in a little, she slowly crouches to the ground.  I follow her.  There on the linoleum we are huddled in this ridiculous contest. Four more painful minutes pass. Suddenly the door opens to reveal the school secretary giving a tour to an interested family.  The blast of cold air and the shard of sunlight on her face rattle her.  She loses her balance and falls back.  I walk away while my hand races to cover my smile with my coffee mug.  I think to myself, The Ms. Shirley Stare will always have sway, my girl

10 comments:

  1. I suck at staring contests. Maybe I should go see Ms Shirley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it wrong of me to want to laugh after reading this?

    Nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely hate some of the pictures of Maria Montessori. My kids attended a Montessori school for years. The teachers could all work magic like you describe. And 'you suck' thought at the picture was glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, catching the drift from here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Satu--Ms. Shirley is my Montessori Idol. Wise old lady. Everyone, EVERYONE, should go see her.

    @ Purple Moose--Hell yeah you should laugh! I still laugh about that day.

    @ jesterqueen.com--Right? That one in particular is just awful. I always felt like she was frowing upon me. I've got enough guilt without Maria being disappointed in me, ya know?

    @ LL--You know what? I'm pretty sure I like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally laughed too. This was awesome, thank goodness you won!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amelia, it was a close call! Part of me really admired that girl's stubborn determination. So much so that I kinda wanted to let her win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome. A friend of mine recounted a time when her little boy told her she didn't look pretty enough to go out. She just stared at him. He squirmed, got more uncomfortable, then said, "heh heh.. that was just me... making a mistake." I can totally relate to this teacher. Power games with kids are such an act of brinksmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mindy, thanks for joining up for Week Ten. This was a great little story, That line 'The drift will be caught, my girl' is a brilliant. I hope it's a direct quote! looking forward to more next week.

    ReplyDelete