Friday, January 20, 2012

Sway by Amelia


Her facebook status says; “Day one of being a full vegan.  Wish me luck!” and I feel violent. 
I realize what a hypocrite I’m being.  That my number one pet peeve is adults who don’t take responsibility for their own actions. 
But when my 95 pound steak, cheese and chocolate loving sister announces her veganism I find it very hard to stomach that it is her decision.  That her roommate/boss who controls the check book and who is perpetually trying to lose weight had nothing to do with it.  You know, the one she had to convince that despite it being easier for his self control, they were going to have to have some full fat foods in the house so she didn’t disappear off the face of the earth due to her continued weight loss.  There are plenty of ways to eat healthy, yes as a vegan, that won’t make you lose weight, but she wasn’t getting proper nutrition when meat and dairy was an option, and now she’s limited even more?!   She’s spent the few visits we’ve had eating as much as she can in attempt to put on a few pounds while the food is available. 
I’m all for veganism, vegetarianism, carnivorism, whatever your “ism” is DO IT.  By all means.  But when others use their advantage to sway what you choose to eat in the favor of their beliefs, no matter what may be the healthiest choice, and when the person being swayed is my younger 5‘ 4” sister, it does not set well with me.
In fact, it causes me to marvel on the fact that I can loathe a person I have never met.  That I, one of the most non confrontational, non violent, we’re all adults, type of person, want to windmill kick someone right in the head, that I’ve only seen a picture of is shocking, to say the least. 
My sweet sister.  Good luck doesn’t even begin to touch what I wish for you.

7 comments:

  1. Hard to make a decision on who needs more attention. The sister for her weakness or your anger against her room mate. I'm leaning towards the windmill kick, because family always needs protection over correction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining up in this week's Trifecta Writing Challenge. I really like the last line of this piece. You're writing with a lot of emotion here, and it shows. Sometimes being a bystander in decisions like these is the hardest role to play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. That feels true. That feels painful. It's horrible when someone is so completely controlled by another. I wish for your sister a return to normalcy. Without the roomate-boss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's almost easier to loathe someone we've never met. Or at least I think so.
    Influencing someone else for your own selfish needs is bullshit. I loathe that dude too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all of you! It really felt better putting it in words, just allowing myself to be childish and honest.
    I still hate the dude.

    ReplyDelete