Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Flirt by Lara Hill

We were always outside the house. We rushed our tea to get back outside. My cousin and I wore rollerskates from our Grandad. We made our way around the house on the concrete path, holding on to the wall, the pebble dash imprinting our palms.

When the brightlight holidays ended, we returned to school. The Indian summer allowed us spend all the breaks running around the school yard. When we got hot, we would strip off. The boys would pull off their jumpers and t-shirts and fling them on the grass or tie them around their waists. Free and exultant we threw away the layers.

One scorcher of a day I realised there was something strange about taking off my t-shirt. I suddenly knew that I would have to give up my wild cat, tom boy ways. I saw the bare chested boys and sensed I'd been cheated. They could flirt with a Tarzan and Cheetah life for many summers to come.

4 comments:

  1. This is absolutely terrific. I love the ending. I love the initial freedom and then the constraint. The images are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks Kelly! That's a really nice compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really recalls that strange in between time of childhood and adolescence when the lines are blurred and uncertainty prevails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see you back for Week 4, Lara. I really enjoyed this piece. You paint a very vivid picture of those heady days of youthful summers. I especially loved that last line. Hope you can make it back for Week 5.

    ReplyDelete