Thursday, June 7, 2012

Retirement 101 by Joanne Edith


I am new to this retirement gig.

On March 6th, after 44 years, I happily said goodbye to the corporate world:
  I said goodbye to the 2 hr. commute to Manhatten.
  I said goodbye to sleepless Sunday nights and stressful Friday executive meetings.
  I said goodbye to PC's and Blackberrys.
  I said goodbye to red-eye flights from LAX.
  I said goodbye to global teleconferences, performance plans and progress reports.

I said hello to lazy mornings in bed with a new puppy.
I said hello to days with nothing on the schedule.
I said hello to grandsons 'popping in' without checking first to see if Grandma was "free".
I said hello to whipping up breakfast, for my 'returning-from-a-jog' daughter.
I said hello to morning bubble baths, accompanied by the  beautiful music of backyard birds.

I bake bread on weekdays.
I go to the gym when I want to.
I realize that I don't need to save my chores for weekends.
I take relaxed walks with my new puppy.
I take golf lessons and swimming lessons.
I knit, I play piano, I sing, I bake, I shop, and I smile.

Grandma, wife, mother, sister, puppy 'human', mentor, musician, gardener, homemaker, photographer, journalist, and person are  roles I can now embrace without encumbrance.

Oh yes, this retirement gig is new to me, but I'm adjusting well to the transition from my corporate, professional identity to the me I always knew was lurking inside.  I now have permission to become all that I can be.

 "Free to be you and me" has meaning once again, to this 'old' (only as old as I feel) dog.

4 comments:

  1. Ah you've the talent for this. See I've been here waiting for you to catch up. Once more we are both in the same world. Smiling at you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up to Trifecta this week. This is the second post I've read about retirement this week, and you both have made it sound so lovely--very much like a period of growth and enjoyment. Thanks for sharing this moment with us. Hope to see you back again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the list of things you've said hello to -- sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. " 2 hr. commute"

    Yah. Goodbye to HELL is what I'd call that!! Enjoy the retirement if it's nonfiction, and I'd love to know more about this character if not!!

    ReplyDelete