Thursday, February 2, 2012

Image by b303tilly

My heart faltered in my chest a little, and breathing became difficult as soon as I overheard him telling her she looked beautiful, just like her sister. My baby girl looked so happy in that moment, and I had to duck out to cry in private. He didn’t know how right he was. She is the very image of her sister, right before she succumbed to the cancer chewing its way through her insides. He unknowingly recognized the look of death, and I can't pretend anymore. I'm going to lose this one, too.

6 comments:

  1. Yikes...this was a slap in the face. Didn't expect that. Well done...so much in such brevity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that's heartbreaking. The idea of a mother losing two children in the same way is agony to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for participating in this week's Trifecta Challenge. The last sentence of this piece broke my heart. The idea of someone recognizing the look of death is breathtaking. I really liked the pacing of this and its abrupt ending. Nicely done. Come back on Friday for the weekend challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Powerful and sad - I'm astounded by what you can say in so few words.

    ReplyDelete