Sunday, December 11, 2011

Wingsuit Flying

By Isabel Tang

I wondered what was it like to flirt with death, as I stood at the edge of the earth. Palms sweating, heart racing, knees trembling, adrenaline pumping through my veins, urging me to jump. I couldn’t wait any longer as I knew I would back down if I didn’t jump before I changed my mind. I dived into the pit of death where many once lost their lives because of the same reason. Gliding through the air, feeling the air running through my body. As I came closer to the ground, it was time to launch the parachute. I pulled. Nothing. I pulled again. Still nothing. I started to panic. I kept on pulling, each time harder than before. I was desperate. Seeing death before my eyes, I wished time would stop as I kept pulling. Everything stopped suddenly, then I realize the parachute was launched. Landing was like being resurrected from death. This was the first and last time I will ever flirt with death again. Death brush past my shoulder and left, but will it the next time?

2 comments:

  1. I used to think that skydiving was the ultimate life affirmer but, as I grew older and my prone to desiring comfort, I feel that it is flirting with death. And that guy? Not really worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for contributing to Trifecta this week! Welcome to the challenge. I really enjoyed reading your piece, especially the line: "Landing was like being resurrected." It's interesting to think of Death as a thing that can brush by you in a room or on a fall; I liked that as well. You have some really strong ideas here. I hope you'll come back for Week Five.

    ReplyDelete