Friday, December 30, 2011

Skirt by Amelia

He hugs me too tight and says; “Are you taking care of yourself?  How are you doing?”
“I’m fine.”  I reply too cheerfully, it’s obviously forced.  Internally I cringe.  I have no fucking desire to have the first meaningful conversation with my father in my entire 32 years to be about how I can’t seem to bring home another live baby.  Later, my husband chides me; “He doesn’t know what to say, he means well.”  I know this.  I do.  But I can’t help him figure out what to say anymore than I can figure out what I want to hear.  I skirt around all the skeletons in our shared closet and lean down to hug my niece.


  1. You really made me wait for the "skirt" using it in the very last sentence. :) Well done. So short and still says it all. I'm not very good at short but I think this is a good exercise.

  2. Thank you for participating in this week's Trifecta Challenge. You've done a great job describing a scene that many of us, I think, are familiar with. There are times when you can accommodate other people's needs and there are times when those needs feel like an overwhelming intrusion. I think of what the flight attendants say--you know, put the mask over your own face before trying to help those sitting next to you. Hope to see you back next week.